Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Work-from-Home Wednesdays--Getting Focused as a WAHM

I still don't have a banner for this series yet, but I'm very proud of myself for keeping up with these themed posts for the past couple weeks, now. Why? Well, I've taking in more writing gigs this past week than I did all last month, for starters! Add to that the fact that my dishwasher has decided to retire, and you can understand my pride.

Anyhow, I'm still very new to this whole work-at-home-mom stuff. I'm sure you can find more seasoned professionals out there, but here you'll learn with me, a rookie Work-at-Home Mom (or WHAM), as green as green can be!

Maybe I'll make the banner green--to symbolize my newness at this as well as what we all hope to earn! What do you think?


If you're considering starting your own small business or otherwise earning money from home, I have a few key questions for you to consider. Answering them will help you get focused so you can succeed, with the minimal amount of disruption to your family life, possible. This is not a test: No answer is "wrong." The point is to help you evaluate your reasons for and goals in working from home. Next week, I'll give you some tips based on your answers.


1. Why do you want (or need) to work?
  • I just want to fill my time, beccause I'm bored and/or lonely at home.
  • I feel feel unfulfilled or embarrassed being "just a mom."
  • I want to help save for college or other long-term hopes.
  • I desire to afford some extra luxuries, like manicures, vacations, and "toys."
  • I need to make money to help make ends meet, pay for basics like gas and groceries, and keep (or get) my family out of debt.
2. If you chose the last option above, why have you decided to stay home instead of pursuing outside employment?
  • The cost of daycare and other work-related expenses would make outside employment financially unwise.
  • I want to  better prioritize my family and home.
  • Flexibility with scheduling is important to me, or necessary for my situation.
  • I think I might be able to make more money or "easy money" from home than I could in the work force.
3. Do you have specific goals regarding your home-based career?
  • Yes, I have a specific amount of money I need to make each week or month, right now.
  • Yes, I have an amount in mind I'd like to eventually earn each week or month or year.
  • No, I don't have a goal in mind, but I need to make as much money as I possibly can.
  • No, I don't have a monetary goal, because I'm more interested in pursuing career goals or building my own brand or reputation with something I like to do.

Well, if you are an aspiring or struggling to get focussed as a WAHM, I think considering your answers to the questions above can be a help. (My husband and I have been discussing these issues and fine-tuning the goals we have for our family.) Like many other freelance writers I've "met" lately, I'm discovering that there's more work out there than I can take in with the time I have. (If you lack writing training but think you might want to give it a try, check out this post of mine.)


Well, nap time is never long enough, so I must bid you adieu. I hope your Mother's Day is a little more relaxing than mine was, last Sunday, but either way, this is





reminding you that the days are very long, but the years are oh-so-short! (But not as short as nap time, so bye-bye!)

2 comments:

  1. I have to say thank you for this post because there are so many mom bloggers right now that have become SAHM or WAHM by pure accident, whether they lost their job or can't find work. I have to say that being a WAHM is harder than it looks (especially when you homeschool, too) and most people think that we just stay home eating ice cream and watch TV; NOT! But thanks for putting this into perspective.
    Love reading your GoodBlog posts and now your blog. Hope to see more posts.
    Have a great vacation,
    Barbara
    Español para Niños (Spanish for Kids)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara! If you know of any way I can possibly get anyone to pay me to sit around eating ice cream and watching TV, let me know! I'm actually not big on TV viewing, but if I were paid enough, I'm sure I could consider it. :)

    Seriously, though, it is definitely work! I will probably homeschool, too, and I don't even want to think about the juggling act that will be!

    I've been blogging mostly on Goodblogs and then doing other writing, so this one has fallen by the wayside as of late. I really want to write on these kinds of topics, though, so I'm starting it back up. It's just hard to be motivated when I get so much less feedback than I do on GB, ya know?

    ReplyDelete